Awards and Accolades
Dancing Deer Baking Company is a company of people passionate about food, nature, aesthetics and community. Dancing Deer's gourmet, award-winning brownies, cookies, squares, cakes, baking mixes and specialty gifts are certified kosher and have been scratch-baked in Boston, MA since 1994. Dancing Deer blends honest baking with innovative flavor ideas, and the company's packaging is as artful as it is honest. Goodies are baked and shipped daily, and are available at specialty, natural food stores and grocery stores nationwide. The company's baked goods are also sold online (www.DancingDeer.com) as gourmet gift arrangements for consumers and corporations.
Dancing Deer has won many national awards and accolades for its distinctive products and innovative business practices, and was one of the first 25 Massachusetts companies to be certified as a Sustainable Business Leader. All employees are stakeholders in the company, which offers creative employee/customer retention and opportunities for community service.
Dancing Deer places an enormous emphasis on giving back to the community, most notably by helping homeless and at-risk families through their Sweet Home Project initiative.
Dancing Deer is a Food Industry Leader
- Molasses Clove Cookie chosen as a winner in Yankee Magazine's 2014 Yankee Editor’s Choice Food Awards! Our very first cookie and best seller today.
- 14 time winner or finalist for the National Association Specialty Food Trade (NASFT) "Sofi" Awards, the food industry's equivalent of the Oscars; in 1998 Dancing Deer’s Signature Molasses Clove Cookies were the first to receive this honor.
- Dancing Deer Brownies named "America’s Best Tasting Brownie" (2011)
- First 100% Whole Grain Sweet Goods Line Available to In-store Bakeries (2011)
- USA Today rates Dancing Deer Chocolate Chunk Brownies "4 Stars, a Connoisseur’s Nirvana" (2007)
- Dancing Deer debuts Gingerbread Cookie House Kits (1999)
Dancing Deer Pursues Innovative Business Practices
- One of the first 25 companies in Massachusetts to be named a Sustainable Business Leader by the Sustainable Business Network (2012, 2010)
- Boston Business Journal 2006 Innovator of the Year Award in Corporate Philanthropy
- 2 time winner of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce Award for Excellence (2005, 2001)
- Inc. Magazine Top 100 Inner City Company (2003, 2002, 2001)
- FleetBoston's 2002 Small Business Leadership Award for Innovation
- Small Business Association of New England, 2000 New Englander Award for Innovation
- Ernst and Young's 1999 Entrepreneur of the Year Finalist
- American Institute of Graphic Artists’ 1999 Brand Design Award Winner
- Profiled in Get Your Ship Together by Michael Abrashoff, subject of a case study by Babson College’s Center for Entrepreneurship
Dancing Deer Donates to Local Non-Profits and National Organizations
- Partnership with the Paul and Phyliss Fireman Foundation through The Sweet Home Project where 35% of the retail price of the Sweet Home Project product line goes directly to programs to end family homelessness in Massachusetts.
- Partnership with Soldier’s Angels, a volunteer-led nonprofit providing aid and comfort to the servicemen and women of the U.S. Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, veterans and their families in 2011, to donate over 5,000 holiday cookie gift packages to American troops stationed overseas.
- Supportive of local charities with donations of Dancing Deer products; the company has a very liberal donation policy.
Dancing Deer Follows Socially Responsible Business Practices
- Unusual culture of participation and respect where everyone is rewarded and encouraged to take ownership of the company
- Commitment to an inner city workforce and location with low hourly requirement for benefits (30 hours per week) and a flexible PTO (paid time off) policy, which allows single parents access to health care, and other benefits while managing family commitments as well as a generous extended leave of absence program to provide job security for immigrant employees who visit their home countries.
- Culture of Celebration where the whole company celebrates birthdays and life achievements: citizenship, births, and weddings.
- All permanent employees have options in the company and everyone participates in a companywide bonus program.
- Commitment to "green packaging", constantly pushing the envelope to improve the environmental impact of all its manufacturing practices.
- Commitment to "truth in packaging" by giving the consumer as much information as possible about ingredients and nutrition and by packaging products in non-deceptive way.
Dancing Deer is Engaged with Consumers and Customers